Friday, July 27, 2018

Hometown Gradient

Hey Everybody!
I hope y'all have had a great last couple of weeks!  This past weekend I went home to Orlando for a family reunion.  I hadn't been home since December so it was fun to get to see my family again and be in familiar territory.  One of my favorite (mundane) parts about going home is that I get to sort through my mom's nail polishes and paint my nails with some polishes that are not common among our collections.  One thing I noticed is that my mom has a lot of shades in the pink/purple range, and in general a lot of polishes in the warm zone.  I decided that while I had a different stash to play with and more time in which to do so, I would try to play with gradients.  I did 2 different gradients in my time at home, but I am only going to share one with you.  That is because the first one was almost indiscernible because the 2 colors I chose were far too close together.  You really couldn't even tell I did a gradient at all.  The second one, however, turned out quite nice! Here is my far more successful gradient.



So for this gradient I chose 2 different OPI purples.  The lighter one is OPI Lucky Lucky Lavender, and the darker one is OPI Hello Hawaii Ya?  My mom has a whole lot of OPI polishes, and she likes the first shade I mentioned so much that she bought 2 of them.  Anyway, I painted all my nails with the lighter shade, then on the ring finger did a gradient of the 2 shades with a cosmetic sponge.  There are a crap ton of tutorials on how to do this on YouTube, so I'm not going to explain how to do this.  I am not super great at gradients because I don't do them all that often, but I was pleasantly surprised at how successful this was.  I think I need to look for some slightly less porous sponges in the future, because up close you can see some little speckles from the sponge in the gradient.   Anyway I finished it off with Seche Vite top coat, which I am slowly falling back into love with.

So that is my gradient using my mom's polishes!  I really need to do these more often because this one came out so nice.  Hope y'all have a fantastic weekend!
 ~ Mary Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment